Solar Heating of Swimming Pools
Solar Heating of Swimming Pools can be done using:
1. Glazed high performance (Marvel) collectors. These are flat plate copper collectors being top quality, robust and of neat appearance.
2. Unglazed polypropelene Techno-Solis collectors. Proven to be the most durable, top quality, reliable with design superiorityand unsurpassed performance for an unglazed collector. Modular panels all 1.2 m wide and lengths of 2.4, 3.0 and 3.6 m.
Did you know that 70% of heat loss from the swimming pool is from evaporation, 20% from radiated heat loss and 10% from conduction through the sides and bottom of the pool? For every 10 kph of air (wind) movement across the pool surface there is a 300% increase in evaporation. Each pool is in its own micro climate – therefore temperature gains from similar sized solar systems will vary from pool to pool. Pool covers reduce evaporation, thereby keeping the pool warmer.(See US Dept of Energy website – Reduce Swimming Pool Energy Costs)
Factors that affect the natural temperature of swimming pools are:
• Shade over the pool
• Colour of the pool and surrounds
• Wind exposure
• Evaporation of the pool water
• Ambient air temperature
• Geographical location
• Season of the year
To size and price a swimming pool solar system we need to know the following:
• Dimensions of the Surface Area of the Pool (SAP)
• Roof area available for positioning the solar collectors
• Angle and orientation of the roof to the sun
• Distance from the pool pump / filter to proposed position of solar collectors
• Swimming season expected
• Any shading of pool and solar collectors by trees, etc
• Is there a pool cover and is it used?
A complete solutionIf you intend heating only your pool, and not your house hot water, Techno-Solis plypropylene panals are less cost relative to size of pool than glazed panels, wich require additional heat exchange equipment. However, Techno-Solis will not heat in the higher temperature ranges of 60 degrees necessary for household hot water.
In Summer, at swimming pool water temperatures (28-30 degrees C) Techno-Solis offers the lower cost system to heat your swimming pool.
In cases when Techno-Solis panels cannot be fitted because of unsuitable or too small area of roof, glazed collectors wich occupy 70% less space are an option. Often a glazed system may be integrated with the household hot water, thus maximising your solar investment.
For winter, regardlers of application, only glazed panels should be considered.